charliedontskate.com Forum Index charliedontskate.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

throwing it out there?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Coneheads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retro racer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: throwing it out there????? Reply with quote

hi guys,,
from the out side looking in, there was some chat about less slalom events and riders. After having a chat to bugs and haggy, i have a suggestion...longboard slalom. The older riders who may have a longboard and who feel comfortable with that board set up then could come have a roll and also we could try to introduce the grooms who race downhill and also have a longboard to roll with. This then may introduce more riders who have a board and do not have to lay out some coin for another slalom set up and can ride and possibly just adjust what they ride right now?
We thought that it would only be a matter of setting up the cones differently and for the sake of some words and using the internet to advertise this, it may be worthwhile.
I am more than happy to poke this along and know some team palooka riders who will join in on their boats and have a roll and giggle.
Rules..min 38" deck with longer wheel base?
What do you experienced guys think?
cheers
skinny
bernie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100%.
see http://www.skateboardingvictoria.org.au/news/main-street-skateboard-slalom-upwey for pictures of a longboard friendly event.

See also http://www.skateboardingvictoria.org.au/news/yarra-ranges-downhill-results for a slalom event that was tacked on to the end of a down hill event.

Both events are well recived by longboarders.

Cones should be taken to EVERY downhill event.
Racers can then have a go, and return the favour of time-keeping and hay-bale management, by picking up cones for the race organisers.
That way everyone gets a full day of racing, and the grins will last for many more days!
More importantly it will remove the misconception that slalom is something that is not possible on a long-board.....and a down-hill race with a few cones to dodge adds to the fun.

In fact I would go further and suggest that sanctioned or outlaw down-hill events that include a slalom side-show could be made entitled to earn premium ASRA points...say 150% increase on normal points allowances.

There needs to be a slalom side-show at Bathurst. That way the long-boarders who are not up for the serious race, can have a go at the racing discipline which was the original reason for ASRA. And the organisers can have a bit of fun after a long and stressful day of race management.
And on top of that, many of the world's fastest also enjoy slalom.

If Slalom is not taken to the the long-boarders it will die.
If long-boarders don't get into slalom, they will get bored, because there is little point in having a board that is capable of 100kph if you can only ride it on a footpath.
Hambo
forum admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep totally agree, great way to get the young blokes involved as well as older guys who don't dig the tight wiggling stuff. There aren't too many slalom purists in Victoria so widening the appeal is the way forward.
MARK WINFER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minimum 36 inch retro so that slider crew can pendy some cones or what ever they call it,

thane coneing to the core,
martykent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this mean i have to by a new deck just to compete that i ride a shorter board only makes it easyer in tight slalom
retro racer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that you would Marty? I think that my point has been missed, especially over on asra. As i said, i recently overheard a conversation regarding numbers falling for slalom, i only suggested longboard slalom as to target the riders both young and old whom may have longboards already and to create a new class to introduce them to longboard slalom?
Good luck guys.
braden
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to back off retro, in fact quite the opposite Exclamation
Giant slalom at Allawah will work......do a comp....asra points.....if the seshes at allawah are regular they will come Cool
martykent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my mind giant slalom is longboard slalom would i be penalised if i road a smaller board in giant slalom and yes you are right numbers are waining which is a bugger.
bernie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that any board length or type restrictions are needed.
Don't forget there are some penny riders that can skate anything also.

Longboard friendly is gained via bigger cone spacing.
It might be better to drop the word "slalom" and just call this type of event a "long-board race" or "short course long-board race", to avoid risk of no-shows from pre-concieved misconceptions.
Hambo
forum admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed it bernie Cool Head to head longboard racing.

Sure people can ride a larger spaced course on a short board but it's often faster to do so on the longer board; I love the longboards.

Time to bring out the Kernows Marty!
martykent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bernie i dont have words .hambo i get very scared when i ride the kernow now after getting the gravity 43inch scared it will snap but still bops along quite nice .
retro racer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Good Friday, i take my oldest son for a skate, his 21 to some local hills. After a few runs his bored, so i set up 40 cones and around the corner and try to show him how its done.lol He would not ride a short board, but i had a jet 38inch set up for slalom. After a few runs he nails it, his way.

Then the Sat after he wants me to take 3 of his mates and go again and i help set up their long boards with what i had for slalom, again 3 young guys hooked.

They ask me if there is any events and they would be keen to try it on their long boards only!

My opinion is the new target audience is the recreational long boarder who by numbers far exceeds downhill grooms and slalom riders.

The hard part is, how do we promote this to them to get their interest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Coneheads All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: