charliedontskate.com Forum Index charliedontskate.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australian Independent Skateboard Manufacturers ?? Maybe ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Australian Independent Skateboard manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skull has Returned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Australian Independent Skateboard Manufacturers ?? Maybe ?? Reply with quote

Anyone interested in forming an association of Independent Board Manufacturers ?

I have been toying with the idea of forming some kind of organization where all the little guys who
make boards "IN" Australia can communicate their success stories and failures with regards to
building decks for themselves or for sale to others. A chance to pass on knowledge to younger Skaters
who want to try and build there own decks but aren’t sure where to start. An organization where ideas
can be discussed with similar people with the same passion for Skateboard construction and design.

Anyone interested or has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
PM me if you prefer.
wba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be a great idea. Maybe we could add a section onto this site. That could have tips & hints. I would definatley use it.
braden
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said Karl...say the word and I'll set up a section any way you want it.
MARK WINFER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stik it out there Karl.
Hambo
forum admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep great! I make my own flat decks and would love tips on improving techniques and sourcing better materials.
Taras

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: deck Reply with quote

Karl,
There are plenty out there that have tried to suceed, but unfortunatley most have failed due to costs of manufacturing.
Great idea on setting up some sort of association to help out people.
A good person to get in touch with would be Flaz (Tom Flaherty) he started making boards back in the 90's and only recently stoped.
I am up for purchasing Aust made stuff, but alot of people wont buy it as cheap imports cost half the price.
I was in China a few years ago and met up with a aussie guy who is running a skateboard manufacturing business, he sells not bad quality boards for $5 US, I got about 10 off him.

I remember Burford blanks and Primate Blanks, both were great aussie boards. Maybe Johnny could have some input.

You might want to set guidlines as you will get people bringing in china imports and then screening them here saying they are aussie made boards (just a thought).

Cheers
Taras
Moris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Taras,
Cary Pogson has been doing OMNI skateboard's for 21 years and has sponsored the best of oz skating over those said 21 years and is still supporting some of there best.
A support group of core board-maker's would only help our scene!!!
www.omniskate.com.au
Taras

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: yeh Reply with quote

Yeh Moris,
Totally agree with Omni, and there are plenty more to add.
- ATS
- Bonzer
- Kernow
- Cockroach
- Coretech
- Borgy
- Badlands
- Reflex (though they were more commercial)
No doubt there are more to add to the list.
It would be great if some of the guys from the past could get to gether to have an input and share info.

Cheers
Taras
Bugs
forum admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the longboarding/slalom world there's a bunch of people making decks here in Oz.

* Nathan Paff makes great foam-core slalom decks.
* Dave Kelly makes longboards.
* Groundhangers makes slalom boards (and all other decks too).
* Ash Donaldson and Pete Hill in Qld are making both wood and foam-core longboards (see pics below).
* Fitz makes slalom and longboards.
* Baz (Hill St Boards) makes decks.
* Steve Daddow has a press and makes decks.
* Others that I can't remember right now.

About mass production in China and elsewhere...the people most threatened by this are those making gear that is bog-standard and easily copyable. Cutting-edge and innovative gear will usually be able to stay ahead of the cheap knock-offs.
Skull has Returned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great input, thanks guys, and i think I may look further into this idea as i think it has a significant part to play
in Aussie Skating history and essential for the future of the sport.

Hey Taras, I ve been making my own boards since 1974, apart from when i stopped skating around 1983,
started making them again in the late 90's for my boys. I have never bought a board in my life, and have
only ever ridden my own decks apart from the one my mum gave me when i was 13 (condor lol).
That said I would consider an Aussie made deck, if it was made of All Aussie Timber (like this one)
I get sick of people saying how great Rock Maple is when there is plenty of other timber out there to choose from.
Go Aussie grown and made. Twisted Evil

GroundHangers

Location: BTS Blacktown Skates - blacktownskates@iprimus.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl im proud to say that i only have bought 3 decks in my life, 2 when i first started skating and one on my return almost 5 years ago. It just doesnt seem right any other way. As for Aussie wood, there is a stack to choose from, but gee its hard to make anyone understand that it still great to ride. 100% Aussie against a pretty colored Chinese Pro model.... hmmm we loose every time, and that goes for 90% in this forum. Although i do use Canadian Maple i still kinda feel that i am cheating myself a little but i can live with it. The process of making a deck is pure hard work, enjoyable and rewarding but hard work. You put all your heart and soul into just one board and the Chinaman keeps on spiting them out one after the other.
Am i having a whinge? Think ill sit back down.
I havent cut a board out for months until yesterday, and i realized how much ive missed it. BTS is back in the shed!
Skull has Returned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate I totally respect what you are doing with BTS and am glad you have said what you did.
I use a combination of Victorian Ash, Tazmanian Oak and Pine, all grown in Australia.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
OY OY OY Very Happy
Fletch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to ressurect "Fletcher Freestyle" skateboards so I can be a member. Rockered marine ply rocks
MARK WINFER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, dont Edit your post, I only cut up CD Ply and drill holes in it and then enjoy talking to you about the out comes.
sean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skull has Returned wrote:
I use a combination of Victorian Ash, Tazmanian Oak and Pine, all grown in Australia.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
OY OY OY Very Happy

Hey Carl, any chance you might do a run of decks like the old sims taperkick or DHD rocker type decks with the diferent colored wood inlays??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Australian Independent Skateboard manufacturers All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: