charliedontskate.com Forum Index charliedontskate.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Street Surfing in Melbourne
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Street surfing/ Carving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xlerb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Street Surfing in Melbourne Reply with quote

I thought start contributing to this forum as I'm pretty much a lone skater looking for new spots to ride my recently acquired Carvestik which I bought with all the money I saved from a bad snow season. I primarily come from a Snowboard background although I did skate in the seventies on a cheap ass board I bought from Grace Bros or soe such.

So anyway I've found quite a few great spots around my area, (West Melbourne) which have helped me progress quickly, and am starting to get confident enough to branch out a bit. So I thought I share a few of my spots in the hope some others could give some pointers to other places.

1/ West Melbourne - Rosslyn, Roden, Stanley and Hawke St, between Spencer and Railway St is basically deserted on weekend and has very wide sts (two lanes + parking in the middle). You get the occasional car on Adderly St but you can always remap your route without stopping due to the width of the streets. This is where I started and I still thinking terms of just ripping it out for relaxation is the best spot for big fast turns in relative safety.

2/ Flagstaff Gardens - You can really only do this from around 5 - 8 PM and even then its highly dependant on foot traffic in the area(which is totally unpredictable). There doesn't seem to be any rules post against it and the attendents there are pretty relaxed as long as you're not bothering anyone. Although it may be covered by the CBD skate exclusion law. It has steeps and gentles and a quite ergonomic circuit(long run with a short walk back to the top). The steeps paths are a little to narrow for comfortable carving but would be good for those wanting to pickup a bit of speed. They've put new lights in there but I havent been down there to see how visible it is. Also if you have a setup not condusive to gum nuts twigs a leaves it could be a little hazardous.

3/ MCG Yarra Park - rode this for the first time yesterday, its big, it has numerous paths and routes, an more importantly very few peopl dogs and bicycles. This obviously only applies to non-event days. You can see the whole park from the top of the hill so you can pick a route before you start to avoid the odd person who may be walking through. ( I was there for two hours and only saw about 5 people wlking on any of the paths. Maybe two bicycles. The only down side is that the walk back to the top is steep and long(not so good on a 37 degree day!). The paths are a little rough as they are old school tar but are still rideable. Twigs and leaves comments from previous also apply.

So anyway, anyone with any further spots like this willing to share? Also anyone wanting to go for a roll as these places with me please feel free to contact me.(I live in West Melbourne so a beer and bbq could be arranged for afterward).

my email is

tkreger@bigpond.net.au

Cheers

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Welcome.(back!)

Glad you tried MCG Park. Been meaning to have a go myself. The ends of the Barrak bridge looks promising for both carving and slalom. The bit around Rod Laver could also be OK without people.
Jells park is getting Sunday slalom sessions (see coneheads), with hills like Flagstaff gardens, but no kerbing on the paths, so plenty of run-off, and management seems skater friendly. We will probably do some Wednesday evenings there also in February.
Another awesome spot is the Melton spillway, which will also work for your board.
You should consider taking the carveboard out to Bulleen this Wednesday, evening because you will really enjoy it, and your board work great on that "snake run". It is a fantastic intro to banked stuff, and will give you quite a good surf feel. If it looks like it will be hard for you to get there, stick a post on the Wednesday Night thread, and you should be able to get a lift.
There are also some city and railway station carparks, that are great late night fun, that we will hit on Wednesday nights next year.

So will we see you on Wednesday????
bernie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger....
That last guest was me....sorry
Bugs
forum admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also come from a snowboarding background, but after spending a bunch of time carving down hills on a longboard I started getting into slalom - it's a natural progression for snowboarders who skate. The Carvestik isn't the best board for slalom, but you can make it work enough to get through most courses.

For carving hills I use one of these:

The trucks are turny, and I've wedged the front one for even more turn, and the deck is flexy enough to really bounce you out of turns. It's not as turny as a Carvestick, but it's much more stable at speed, and it's possible to mix and match trucks and wheels to get it the way you want.
xlerb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernie + Bugs, yeah I might try to make it out to bulleen, looks cool. Will confirm later as I might have to shift something.

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers

Tim
xlerb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW What time are you planning on being there?

Cheers

Tim
bernie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Anytime from 7:00pm. You should have enough light til about 9pm.
I can't make it this week, but Hambo is going.
Might see you week after Newport.
Hambo
forum admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a first for me at Bulleen too. I've been shuffling wheels and trucks around today to try and create the right setup. Time to give the Bennetts a good thrashing.

I rode into Flagstaff Gardens on my bike today. The paths look pretty smooth on the whole and there's plenty of variety in the slope. They could be a little wider or maybe suit a shorter wheelbase deck. The well watered Shocked grassy areas allow for commando roll bails. Could be a good spot for nightime slalom too.
xlerb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hambo, I will be coming out to Bulleen tonight, looking forward to meeting you guys.

Re Flagstaff I should go down there one night to see how well the lights work as it used to be pretty dark down there at night. Oh and I fogot to mention the possum plague, although I think they're clever enough to get out of the way when they here rolling wheels.

Cheers

Tim
Carveboard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Surfing the streets in Melbourne Reply with quote

OK Time to fess up
I have been suggesting to Braden that it would be a good idea to start this topic and a big thankyou. Iam stoked that there is now a corner in cyber space where street surfers can hang out (including a growing contingent of Carveboarders).
I would have posted this earlier but have been out of keyboard range for a few days and can also confirm that the only conection our guest has with Carveboard is the same stoke that we all share from riding the boards.
For the record I am the licensee for Carveboard in Aust/NZ and it is not my intention to attempt any hijacking of this forum for marketing purposes. If I wanted a sanitised forum that only pushed the official Carve HQ line I would have set it up on the carveboard site. an independent forum is the way to go and I am confident that as far as street surfing & carving goes the carveboard & stik will be able to hold there own.
Also if people/ skate creatures want sales info they can easily contact me outside of this forum and if I cross the line I'm sure I will be reminded very quickly.
Obviously I am fully stoked on the way the carveboards & stiks ride n roll. The rail to rail capabilities of the boards is in my opinion extreme, a view shared by numerous former and current surfing/snowboarding professionals & world champions.
I also acknowledge that there will always be a crew, who for whatever reasons who will prefer to experience the street surfing/ carving stoke on a different set up. Whatever way its all good.
I have already sent the crew from scribber (another hybrid set up from the Gold coast) an e-mail letting them know about this new topic. The more that get involved the better.
I will unashameably be spreading the word about charlie & this topic to as many carveboarders as I can and hopefully from my perspective there will be a lot of carveboard content, no doubt some robust discussion on the merits or otherwise of various set ups and also to act as a place where street surfers (irrespective of set ups and brand loyalties) can network, swap ideas and co-ordinate jams.
I have posted photos on the coneheads, So hot right now & Son of a ditch threads of Carveboards & Stiks in a range of terrain types and will start posting more in this topic soon. Would be great to see some other street surfing work as well.
Anyway hope to make it down for the MOSS 07. Looking forward to riding the frankston bowl on my twinstik and some of those fabled spillways, drains & snake runs Vic has to offer.
Namaste & Carve On
fitz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,
Thought it might be you, haha!
Good move contactiing Ben from grombiz. His boards are fun to ride too although different again from carvesticks.
Thanks again for supporting slalom with regards to helping organise the demo at the boardsports expo. We all had a ball.

I was devastated when I took a closer look at the carvstik trucks though. What I thought was a totally original idea of mine had already been implemented using shoulder screws for axles and replaceable nyloc nuts within the truck for thread. Right down to the clearance hole behind the nut for the excess threads to fit. I guess its the quick and the patented these days. That was gonna be my split axle slalom hanger method.
I've still got a few more tricks up my sleeve though.

Laterz
cameronnie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: dreams Reply with quote

i dreamt a mate let me ride his carvestik last night (and he doesn't even own one). i blasted down a long dip in the road and back again carving the shite out of the bitumen and man, it was too much fun. So now I have to get one! But I was wondering if I spend all my xmas money on myself and get a carvestik and I dont shred like I did in my dream, will Carveboard offer a refund or some sort of therapy?
GroundHangers

Location: BTS Blacktown Skates - blacktownskates@iprimus.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameronnie, do yourself a favour and go get a Surfstick, and you will dream no more, not only that you will shred your ass off.

Give Dave Goggin a call on 0427655970 is all it takes and he will look after you.
Problem is trying to keep everyone else off it!
old school Richie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally scroll down this far, but there seems to be some new topics.This looks interesting street surfing.The young grommies will get confused with this one.They won't believe that there is more to skating than tight trucks rails and stairs.(Their idea is What you can actually turn your board?)My boards are all loose and very turnable.Once the young kidds ride them and start experiencing carves instead of forced kick turns they don't believe it. All smiles and amazement. Scribers. carve boards and just good old fashion loose trucks big soft wheels .This is the way to take on the surf type skating we grew up with. Bennett truks are back and may start a new era in street surfing.
old school Richie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went over some old turf and skated some spots that havn't been rolled in a long time.Talk about street surfing we were in our element surf type moves were the order of the day.I havn't seen a lot of Melbourne footage or pics but I am sure that you would have heaps of concrete banks and driveways etc down there.I am running the new bennetts and soft large diameter wheels .My board is so manouverable there is not much it can't roll over or around.If some one is able to post some pics I would love to see what you guys are doing down there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Street surfing/ Carving All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: