charliedontskate.com Forum Index charliedontskate.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bathurst ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Skatejams / Races
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie spearing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Bathurst ?? Reply with quote

This is totally an unknown wildcard idea, but in the UK they slalom skate on the Brands Hatch racing circuit. I've raced on it number of times over the years. Watching the TV tonight I see the Bathurst circuit has some pretty nice hills which would be killler for a great GS course. Is there any way one of you Aussies has a connection at Bathurst??? It would be an amazing slalom venue and I'd be over from NZ like a shot !! Just thought I'd punt that idea out there. Twisted Evil
Bugs
forum admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, I know the oldskool team guys (http://oldskoolteam.com/phpBB/index.php) do some downhill on the Bathurst track, so they should have some info. The road is an ordinary public road when then the car racing isn't on, so racing slalom on it might be impossible without getting council/local govt on side.

I understand that some of the people that live along the road are not especially friendly to skaters, or anybody for that matter.
eddie spearing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Bugs. I see your name on that website a bit. Who's the best person to hit up about joining up with the IGSA boys next time they have a Bathurst day. Watching the 1000 race today I see that road would be insane on a skate. I notice too you boys are talking about Bangalow being the Australian national Champs venue for 2007 again. How much better do you think it would be if you can get on to the Bathurst roads.!!!@? It looks amazing. Again, I'm just throwing this out for your thoughts. "ASRA Slalom Nationals at Bathurst". It has a bit of a ring to it don't you think? And you could maybe attract some international competition.
fitz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eddie, when we skate there doing downhill its totally illegal. It's a funny kettle of fish because even though it's a public road it actually states opon entry that any luge or skateboard riding is strictly prohibited.
If I get caught there again and the police get my name it's gonna be a mega fine! There's this old guy who lives half way down conrod straight who rings the cops intantly.
Awesome road to use though if it ever came to happen. The closest we got to a shoe in was when a luge mate got talking with Peter Brock at a Mt Bulla car-race when they were doing an extreme sport demo thing to co-inside with the event. Unfortunately Peter is no longer with us.
It is possible to do if money weren't an issue. To my knowledge it costs thousands to use the track. Then thousands more to cover insurance.
If it ever comes to fruit then trust me dude I'm gonna be the first one to enter the comp. Its possible to reach speeds of up to 95km/h if you slip stream another rider. I cracked 120km/h towing a 1200cc motorbike. This is me getting my feet ready before takeoff.

eddie spearing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fitz. I now see the problem. This is obviously a great shame to sk8kind. Maybe hiring a hooker for the old guy might help him turn a blind eye. Whatever, if there's a way around the ban or a connection to management that can be made it would be brilliant. Great photos though. It looks FAST. I'll try and post an old shot of me at Brands for a years gone by. You'd be surprised at how similar it looks. Cheers.
Hop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the only issue is money, then it will happen one day. That bit of road is just too good not to have a race on.
Bugs
forum admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddie spearing wrote:
Again, I'm just throwing this out for your thoughts. "ASRA Slalom Nationals at Bathurst". It has a bit of a ring to it don't you think? And you could maybe attract some international competition.

It would be totally cool from a riding perspective, because I'm sure the road would be great to ride on. It's gotta be better than Bangalow, which is rough, cracked, and potholed. And racing skateboards/racing cars - the link is obvious.

But one thing Bangalow gives you is a ready-made crowd - the place is packed, and you get a lot of attention, and at least local media attention. The Bathurst race track, on the other hand, is out in the middle of the countryside - there's a big chance that the event would be a dud from an attention-seeking perspective.

I reckon the right thing to do is give the Bangalow comp its due - after all, they've started something from almost nothing. But that doesn't mean that there couldn't also be a race at Bathurst - the more races the better!
fitz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drawing the crowd wouldn't be an issue at all.
I lived out there for nearly 13 years and the skate community out there is bigger than you'd expect.
council was nearly forced to cough up the money to build the recently finished skate park thanks to my bro and his mates.
They ended up allocating $200,000 for the project.
If there were sufficent advertising and notice givin to the general public it would get good exposure.
The chances of integrating with the car race would be very slim though. They get really strict on no access to the track leading up the the main race. They do hold other event throughout the year which may be possible.
eddie spearing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken a little initiative and contacted the Bathurst Council last week about holding an event. I hope its OK with everyone as I've put a number of organisations forward as backing this idea. No offence intended and I don't want to overstep the mark, I just wanted to give a feeling of 'authority' to my email. The NZSR I made up as I wrote the mail. Ha! Please read:

Hi Danielle,
Good to speak to you earlier. Below is the email that got bounced back. Like I said, essentially at this stage I'm just looking for a glimmer of a 'yes' before we spend time putitng together a proposal. The thought of being able to hold such an event at Bathurst would be a major drawcard for overseas racers and it could be a premier event very quickly.

Thanks,

Eddie

===
Dear Sir,
I am researching the possibility and then, what would be necessary, to hold an international skateboard luge, standup and slalom gravity festival utilising parts of the Mt Panorama track?

I note the Bathurst Regional Council likes to run sporting events at this amazing venue and the increasing popularity of gravity assisted sports could provide another showcase for the mountain.

Sanctioned races to international standard would be envisaged backed by ASRA (Australian Slalom Racers Assoc) , IGSA (International Gravity Sports Assoc) and NZSR (New Zealand Skateboard Racers) organisations. At this stage we have no dates in mind as I'm sure we'd have to fit in to an already crowded itinary, I'm just putting the feelers out. We would not necessarilly need an entire day and could fit in between other events as 'fillers' or support events.

This is a serious request and your feedback would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Eddie Spearing
President - New Zealand Skateboard Racers

I had quite a good conversation with Danielle from Bathurst this morning who thought it would be very interesting to look further into it. Her reply:

Hello Eddie,

I received your email, and I will investigate the possibility of staging an event like yours.
I have passed it onto our Events Manager - Simon Rollin, who is away today, but will be back in on Wednesday
and I will follow up with him.

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards

Danielle Keech
Event Assistant
Bathurst Regional Council

So..., I will see whats up on Wednesday. Shit... Imagine...

Now obviously if this comes off and we can afford it etc etc etc, then its going to be pretty hard to deal with from over here in NZ. I can do lots by email, but we'd need people onthe ground so to speak. So who's up for it in Australia??? Something to start thinking about maybe? And I'm quite happy for you guys to shoot me down if I've been a naughty boy.
haggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddie - nice work dude!
we'll see if this events dude gets back to you, hope so.

all it takes is one key person to be into it and there is potential. from my understanding of the UK race at brands hatch there is a connection with someone who works at the race course...

so - does anybody know anybody involved in managment of the race course?
DrStoopid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nominative determinism will force the event manager to support sk8ing

Quote:
Events Manager - Simon Rollin
Cool
Bugs
forum admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, I've got no problem with you dropping the ASRA name into your email - I think it's a great idea and that's what ASRA is for.

I'm happy to be a contact person here in Oz: colin@skateboardracing.org.au, but if somebody else is in a better position re knowledge/contacts/Bathurst they should step up and get involved instead of me.
Hop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GroundHangers

Location: BTS Blacktown Skates - blacktownskates@iprimus.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had visions earlier on in the year for a TS and a small GS at Eastern Creek, but Bathurst is insane!!! Love it!! Maybe ASRA could incorporate them.
fitz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what access we had to the track you could cater for tight, hybrid, gs, super gs, downhill standup, the works. It all depends on what we would be allowed.
I'm all for helping out wherever possible.
I just got back from there today. I was out there visiting relo's.

My younger brother can tear it up in the bowl at the newly created skatepark. They now have it turfed all around the park instead of dirt which just got into the park.
This is footage of him this morning pumping round and hitting some major air. The 2 minor bowls would be about 5ft deep. The main bowl is about 7ft. He's 6'2"
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v675/CptEvil/vids/?action=view&current=mick_batho-bowl_air.flv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Skatejams / Races All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: