charliedontskate.com Forum Index charliedontskate.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

carveboard competition idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Street surfing/ Carving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bass_player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: carveboard competition idea Reply with quote

I had an idea today for an interesting carveboard competition. It would work best on carveboards cause they're so turny, but i guess it could work on any skateboard.

Have a hill set up just like slalom, with a start gate and finish gate, but no other cones, just an empty hill. The idea is to go from top to bottom in the longest time and with the highest average speed (ie carve fast and tight) any way you choose.

You would get a score based on the time taken to get down the hill multiplied by the average speed (each compititor would need to take a gps unit with them down the hill which would give average speed no problems). The highest score wins. This way, carving too much will see your score destroyed because of a low average speed, and bombing it will see your score destroyed for a low total time. It depends on how you can get that combo speed/time thing going. Obviously the best way to maximise your score is carve hard and fast so you cover the highest amount of ground possible at a high speed, which makes for great viewing.

maybe you could also have a panel of judges to give a 'style multiplier' score between 1 and 1.5 to give those with 'better' style an advantage.

reckon that would work? i think it would be very interesting to see how people adapt to it over the first few runs.
Bugs
forum admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it would take a bit of experimentation to get the right formula for determining the winner. For example it might be better to add the time and average speed, rather than multiply them.

Imagine these are two ways you could ride the hill:
30 seconds with an average speed of 20 kmh.
40 seconds with an average speed of 14 kmh.

Multiplied that gives:

Added that gives:

I reckon you'd want to bias it a bit towards average speed rather than total time down the hill. It's more fun/interesting to go fast. How about this for a formula:
(2 x Average speed) + Total time.

For the example above that gives:

But maybe the "right" formula would depend on the hill? Who knows?
Carveboard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoked to see this thread.
I have also been working on this concept for some time. Will definately be keeping an eye on this one.
Hopefully we will be able to incoporate some exhibition style events into the skate calander this year.
Carve On
bass_player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah bugs what are you doing to me?! i'm an engineer by qualification but a mathematician at heart, i'm going to try and crank over the brain cells and see if i can come up with something that works 'best' for all scenarios. this is proving to be interesting on more levels than i first thought.

just as well i'm unemployed and able to spend time doing relatively meaningless things like this in my spare time Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a simpler format, more like surfing ski jump or perhaps mogul skiing.

Time vs Style marks. Its much easier than requiring all riders have a GPS (btw GPS isnt that accurate for velocity over short distances).

Or a grid of cones. The more gates you can skip (tranvsersely) the more points you get for each gate. Add the time to this in some way and you get a score. It could be standardised(sort of) on straight hills and would encourage deep loopy carving.
xlerb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was me!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recon that it wont work. you could have somone finish in 40 sec with a speed of 20, and somone finish in a time of 20 with a speed of 40. both equals 800. who wins?

the best i think would be what they have for downhill skiing in the winter olimpics. a bunch of gates that you MUST go through(some of them may be quite chellanging). fastest person wins.
rudey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that was me

i also hate the idea of judges giving out style points. it shouldnt be based on weather or not some guy/girl liked it or not.
GroundHangers

Location: BTS Blacktown Skates - blacktownskates@iprimus.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh i agree with you Rudy , some good cone/gate placement will make you style it up no matter what. Just imagine a tight cone backing up the hill when the only way you can get around it is by putting your butt and hand on the ground, now that would be styin'!!
whacko jacko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if this was the case, and you did end up with set cones/gates that you MUST go through you still end up with a slalom event..... but the trick here is its not a tight slalom, and its not a GS... but its a carve slalom.
i would think this sort of race would appeal more towards today's young longboarder folk who have the taste for drawing nice big phat lines down the road, instead of trying to quickly pump small (yet hectic) slices between cones...
setting it on a nice big hell with really wide cones would be a good idea, and as groundhangers said whacking on that nasty stinger that requires hanging-ass and sliding the hand over the road just to make it around would already give you style points.

so in the long run, whos keen on having a play with different sorts of slalom racing? keep the pocket pistols at home, take off the tracker RTs/x's, get out your best sector9 pintail with those Randal180's and see how fast you can draw a very stylistic line down a hill.... im sure it could work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
j56speed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so heres an idea....Start line with timer switch (1) fast as you can (no restrictions on pumping) to next timer switch (2) slalom corse then last switch(3) ....... maybe a switch (4) and another fast as you can ....

as a variation make the section between 2 & 3 "stop in the shortest distance" .....

This suites BTS cos of the length ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    charliedontskate.com Forum Index -> Street surfing/ Carving All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: